Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
  • Back Mounted Cave RSS Feed

Author: Paul Gray

Backplate: Dive Rite Steel

Harness: Single piece of continuous webbing with a separate 2” crotch strap. One d ring on each side of the waist, one d ring on each shoulder strap, and one d ring both at the front and rear of the crotch strap.

Air cell: OMS 55lb wing, flat, single bladder with no bungee cords and a 6” dump hose.

Lights: Primary: Dive Rite Wreck 1 HID light with 10 watt compact head, Back ups: 2 Ikelite PC Lite lights.

Harness Extras: Wilson arrows and pins on surgical tubing, Z knife, Reels to be used on the dive, plastic buckle, inner tube for back up lights, open water octopus keeper for light cord..

Regulators: OCEANICFirst stages: DX4s. Second stages:Primary - Delta 3, Back up - Alpha 7.

Gauges: SPG - Dive RiteComputer - Dive Rite Nitek 3, Bottom Timer - Uwatec.

Masks/Fins: Mares Zero Nine & Turtle Fins.

Miscellaneous: OMS Professional O2 Analyzer, Transfill whip, External Pressure Gauge, Small tank of “calibration” air.

Exposure Protection: DUI CF200 self-donning dry suit with rock boots and hood. LL Bean expedition weight fleece undergarments.

Configuration Summary:
    In general, the base configuration I use was taught to me as “Hogarthian”. The base is a set of LP steel doubles, connected with an isolation manifold. Depending on where I am diving, these are either 85’s or 95’s. I use Sea Elite or Dive Rite manifolds, both 200 and 300 bar. These are used in conjunction with a OMS wing, Dive Rite steel plate and harness that are described above. For regulators I use 2 Oceanic 300 Bar DX4 first stages. Left post holds an SPG and Oceanic Alpha 7 back up reg (with a necklace) and my dry suit inflator hose. SPG gets clipped off on left waist d ring. Back up reg hose runs along the tank shoulders, over my right shoulder and hangs on the necklace below my chin. Right post holds the inflator hose for the wing and my Oceanic Delta 3 primary reg on a seven foot hose. The hose is routed down to waist (tucked under light canister) across chest, looped around neck and into mouth. Back up lights are clipped onto the shoulder d rings and tucked under a one inch band of bike inner tube that has been slipped over the straps. My primary light is mounted on the right side just in front of the d ring and held in place by a plastic buckle. I wear the light head on my hand using a soft (elastic) band mount. Light cable routing is up from the canister, up to my right shoulder d ring where it passes through an elastic open water octopus keeper clipped to the d ring. The cable then runs down my arm to the light. I really like this routing as it keeps the cord out of the way, and when out of the water I slide the cord back through the keeper until the light head is at the ring and out of harms way. My Wilson arrows and pins are attached to a piece of surgical tubing with a clip on the end, this is then mounted to the left shoulder d ring. To keep my wing inflator where I want it, I’ve added 2 “keepers”. The first is a short loop of surgical hose looped around the elbow of the corrugated inflator dump hose. I run the inflator hose off the right post through the loop and down along the dump hose, through the second keeper which is a one inch band of inner tube slipped over the harness shoulder strap. Reels and spools I plan on using during the dive are clipped off on the right d ring behind my light canister. I have trouble reaching the rear d ring and I like them tucked away behind the light. I have a Z knife mounted on the waist strap, just to the left of the belt buckle and it is mounted over a piece of inner tube which helps keep it in place. My Dive Rite Nitek 3 is mounted on a curved slate made of PVC pipe and is worn on the left forearm, I also keep an extra knife on the slate. Uwatec bottom timer is worn on the right arm. My Wet Notes (which have an EAD table in them), navy tables and spare mask are kept in my left thigh pocket. Safety reel and any extra reels/spools are kept in my right thigh pocket. I also have a compass in my left pocket for use with cave maps/orientation and for surveying purposes.

Author: Rich Courtney

Backplates: Halcyon Steel Plate (used when diving with Faber tanks or in salt water) and a Dive Rite Aluminum Plate (used when diving with Pressed Steel tanks)

Harnesses: 2 x Dive Rite Deluxe with 2” crotch strap (scooter ring & rear d ring) and chest strap, 1 bent d ring on each shoulder strap, 2 rigid d rings on left hand side of waist strap.

Air Cell: Dive Rite Classic wings with a 16” inflator hose.

Lights: Primary: Dive Rite Wreck 1 Canister with a 10 watt HID MR11 head (6 degree bulb) attached to a soft Goodman handle,Back ups: 2 Princeton Tec 40s.

Harness Extras: Line arrows & clothes pins on surgical tubing, z knife, mask pocket, plastic buckle, safety reel, inner tubing to hold back up lights and LP inflator hose, octopus holder for light cord.

Regulators: SCUBAPRO First stages: MK 20s. Second stages: Primary - G250, Backup - G500.

Gauges: SPG - Dive Rite, Computer - Aladin Air-X Nitrox, Bottom Timer - Citizen Hyper Aqualand.

Masks/Fins: Primary - Sherwood Genesis, Backup- Sea Elite Pro, Fins - XL Jet Fins with Spring Straps.

Miscellaneous: O2 Analyzer - Abyss Oxyspy, Reels - Dive Rite Primary, Safety and Finger Spools, DIN Tank Pressure Checker, Duct Tape!!

Exposure Protection: Sea Elite/Atlan 7/5 mm semi-dry suit with 2 thigh pockets, Comp 3 mm hood.

Configuration Summary:
    I use a Dive Rite Deluxe harness, because it’s the most comfortable that I‘ve used. Complementing this is the Dive Rite Classic wing with a short inflator hose that’s held with bungee cord to the left hand side of the harness. I also have 3 pieces of inner tube on the wing inflator that hold the LP inflator hose coming off the right post. The right side shoulder d ring is used to clip off my primary reg when staging or getting ready to enter the water, the left side shoulder d ring is used for two purposes, a) as a stage/O2 attachment point and b) as an attachment point for surgical tubing with line arrows & clothes pins. This surgical tubing is then run underneath the crossing chest strap to hold it against my body. Back up lights are run down each side of the harness, attached via a bolt clip to the 1” d rings below the chest strap and then secured to the harness at the bottom using pieces of inner tube. I place my light canister on the right hand side of the waist webbing of the harness with a pocket for a back up mask placed just in front of it. A plastic buckle is then slipped onto the webbing to hold those items in place. As a point of interest my light cord has a plastic octopus holder on it which is clipped off to the right shoulder d ring when diving and can be slid up and down the light cord as necessary. I find this prevents the light cord from dragging and is also useful when gearing up. On the left hand side of the waist webbing behind the stainless steel buckle I have a Z knife. Back towards the plate I’ve attached 2 rigid d rings (I find them much easier to use on the fly), the front one is for my pressure gauge only, and the back one is an attachment point for stage/O2 bottle(s). A safety reel is attached to the rear crotch strap d ring. Other caving stuff is carried in the thigh pockets of my semi-dry suit, wet notes (that also hold various tables and a compass) go in the left hand pocket and finger spools for jumps in the right. As a final touch the webbing is run through metal slides placed at bottom corners of backplate (on the backside) to keep the harness from sliding around after being positioned the way I like it. I breathe the long hose and use 2 MK 20 Scubapro DIN 300 bar first stages, running my long hose G250 reg (with a bolt clip for use when staging and gearing up) and wing inflator off the right post and my back up G500 reg and pressure gauge (with a bolt clip) off the left post. My long hose is routed down my side, hooked under my light canister, across the chest (ALWAYS on top of everything else) around the neck and into the mouth. The back up regulator is routed along the top of the tanks, over my right shoulder, hung on a “necklace” and sits underneath the chin for quick access. I wear my Aladin computer on the right wrist facing inwards and my Aqualand bottom timer/back up depth gauge on the left wrist. I would summarize my equipment configuration and diving style as a minimalist set up or “Hogarthian”. If I don’t need it on the dive, I don’t take it!!

• Recent Forum Posts

guruboy

WTB LP85's

If you come to Dallas area, let me know.

guruboy 07-26-2017 01:33 PM Go to last post
    fno

3 more sets of Pressed Steel 104's for sale and more

Sorry for the confusion about the Scubapro doubles. They are 95's and not 85's.

fno 07-26-2017 12:30 PM Go to last post
    shellmoundal

A must read

Bradford County commissioners

Bocc.bradfordcountyfl.gov

1. Ross Chandler
    2. Kenny Thompson
    3. Chris Doughtery
    4. Danny Riddick
    5. Frank Durrance

shellmoundal 07-26-2017 12:30 PM Go to last post
    shellmoundal

A must read

Union County Board of County Commissioners:

1. Karen Cossey
    2. Woody Kitler
    3. James Tallman
    4. Tommy Nettles
    5. Travis Croft
    6. Russ Wade

They all can be reached at:

shellmoundal 07-26-2017 12:28 PM Go to last post
    Walter Pickel

WTB LP85's

will do

Walter Pickel 07-26-2017 12:24 PM Go to last post
    jblack

LP 120's

1- set Lp 120's think faber
    in hydro and vis
    set up for side mount
    text Jason 615-812-0778
    located in cave country
    400 for set

will trade for set of lp 50's

jblack 07-26-2017 12:01 PM Go to last post
    jblack

SF2 crossover

very cool....BOV makes it even sweeter ......its a great unit especially for the caves!

jblack 07-26-2017 11:57 AM Go to last post
    jblack

Meg COPIS 2.7 head

Meg COPIS 2.7 head in excellent condition. recently serviced from innerspace.
    text me for picts.... Jason 615-812-0778 900.00 obo

jblack 07-26-2017 11:56 AM Go to last post
    BlindAltezza

WTB: 7/8 manifold

PMed you, Cferrar.

BlindAltezza 07-26-2017 11:46 AM Go to last post
    FLDVR

SF2 crossover

I'm itching to get my SF2 up into the caves! A few more ocean dives to build up some hours and I'm off.
    Still running the stock configuration here but the Bov sounds like a definite upgrade soon....

FLDVR 07-26-2017 11:00 AM Go to last post
    rddvet

Drysuit repair

He told ne the other day he'd like to be done in the next two years. I've known for a while but this has been the most open he's been. And is now freely telling customers

Sent from my iPhone...

rddvet 07-26-2017 10:20 AM Go to last post
    FW

Drysuit repair

Well, he is training an apprentice.

FW 07-26-2017 09:51 AM Go to last post